Today is our final day of our summer placement with the Planning and Transport team here at the Council. We would like to thank the team here for a great summer full of invaluable experience. We’re really going to miss coming into work every day and sharing our experiences. As a final blog, we thought we’d cover some highlights of our time here. This has included:
- Helping out with the Pop-up cities expo in July we thoroughly enjoyed being part of an event and gave us the opportunity to meet some really inspiring people…Douglas Pritchard, Heriot Watt (3D mapping), Sarah from Neatebox, Richard Roger from MESH (Mapping Edinburgh’s Social History), Susan (biodiversity officer), and of course Jenny and Chloe from here at the Council.
- Helping to promote the World Heritage Site consultation for the new management plan by taking to the streets to interview people, gaining real feedback and turning their thoughts into recordings which will inform the new management plan. Also, the ongoing work promoting and raising awareness for the consultation through social media, the result was incredible, we are proud to have been part of it!
- Meeting with Robb McCrae and Tamsin Cunningham from the Edinburgh Too event, gaining a sneak preview of their show and sharing their artistic impression on planning issues in Edinburgh was really interesting
- Collaborating with team members on the Royal Mile shop front appraisal and the Open Space Strategy
- Meeting Erica Flett from the West-End BID and helping to promote the team and their vision for the BID, which they are working hard to establish
- Helping to promote the New Town and the Portobello character appraisals, our photography skills have certainly improved!
- Taking a tour of Leith waterfront for our new German friends, 14 students and a professor joined us to learn about the successes and challenges of Edinburgh waterfront for a university project. It was lovely to network on an international scale, and it was great experience and we now feel confident with skills gained in tour guiding…!
It’s been great to be able to share all this on the blog with the people in Edinburgh and across the globe using social media. We hope our efforts to prove its value towards community engagement has been appreciated and is part of our legacy!
We’re grateful to all our readers and glad to announce the team have agreed to keep the blog running; the torch is being handed over to Emma and George, the new year-out placement students. They will continue to keep you informed of exciting events and upcoming developments in Edinburgh.
Katie and Luke
You must be logged in to post a comment.